Do I need monitor, mouse, keyboard?

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Sat Dec 2 13:45:47 UTC 2006

Around 01:41pm on Saturday, December 02, 2006 (UK time), Mike - EMAIL IGNORED scrawled:

> On the box on which I run Apache and a few
> other daemons, I virtually never use the
> monitor, keyboard, or mouse.  I maintain
> the box over ssh.  Is there any reason I
> have to keep these peripherals plugged in
> to the box?

None at all - that what I do.

Well nearly.  The bios on some machones halts the boot process during
post unless a keyboard is plugged in.  So one of my older machines just
has an old keyboard plugged in.

I suggest you remove all but the monitor and check it still reboots OK.
If it does, the monitor can then be safely removed.

Steve

--

A:  Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q:  Why is top-posting a bad thing?

 13:43:12 up 105 days, 16:09,  1 user,  load average: 0.51, 0.15, 0.05