Unable To Boot From a Fedora Core 6 DVD Disk

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Sat Dec 2 15:09:04 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 08:04 -0500, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I was able to use a Fedora Core 6 DVD disk that I created and load
> it into a Windows laptop that belongs to a friend and found that it
> boots fine into Linux.  The problem sees to be with my own laptop. I
> already have Fedora Core 6 loaded on it.  The laptop is an IBM  ThinkPad
> T-30. I have an NEC-CD-RW/DVD+RW Drive which I bought recently for this
> laptop.  However, whenever I put the disk into my drive to boot from it,
> it only boots to the hard drive. Would this have anything to do with
> Anaconda? I already have changed the bios settings that would allow the
> laptop to boot from the cd-drive. Has anyone else had this problem and
> if so, how do I correct it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have been using a FC6 DVD to install on my Asus laptop, and there were
no problems. Can you verify that you have in fact changed the
configuration in your BIOS to boot first from your DVD drive? If you
have a Windows XP/2000/9x CD lying around, you could insert it into the
drive and try and see if your system boots from that.

One thing: the model of Thinkpad that you are using is pretty old, is it
not? The DVD drive that you bought -- does it plug into the USB port or
is it one of those slim versions that you could swap with the Thinkpad's
internal CDROM drive ?

Regards.