writing double layer Dvd's

Kurt Wall kwall at kurtwerks.com
Sat Dec 2 17:23:40 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 12:04:17PM -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> Sure, I could Google, but I don't trust "them" as much as I do you. I'm
> about to write an iso file to a double layer Dvd. I'd like to hear just
> what is a good burn speed. The box sez no more than 8X. Well, what would
> be better? 1X? 2X? 4X? I'd rather it not take the weekend to burn 7.4
> gigs. But, these darn disks are expensive. I really don't want to make a
> $4 coaster. What say you?? Any caveats? Thanks, Ric

It won't take that long, regardless of the speed you choose. Using the
DVD R/RW and media shown below, I burn a double-layer DVD in ~25 minutes.

Drive:  TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B GA04 Removable CD-ROM
Blanks: Verbatim DVD+R DL DVD

The most useful piece of information is reported by cdrecord:

# cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc -prcap
  Number of supported write speeds: 1
  Write speed # 0:  2770 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD  15x, DVD  2x)

So the write speed is 2x.

Kurt
--
Never buy what you do not want because it is cheap; it will be dear to you.
		-- Thomas Jefferson