To "hardware" RAID 5 or software RAID 5

Ubence Quevedo r0d3nt at pacbell.net
Sun Dec 3 01:09:46 UTC 2006

Hi Everyone,

I am redoing my system and have three 250GB hard drives that I was
going to try and setup a raid 5 configuration with.  My motherboard
is a ASUS K8N4E-Deluxe with both nforce raid and silicon image raid.
My question is, would it be best to go with either of the "hardware"
raid solutions [I know it isn't truly hardware raid], or should I use
Fedora's built in software raid for what I want to accomplish.  I
can't afford an LSI or 3Ware raid card, or else I wouldn't be posting
this question.

Has anyone had any problems/horror stories with these particular
hardware raid solutions I have mentioned?  On the other hand, has
anyone had any particularly bad experience with the Fedora software
raid?

I haven't had a chance to look through the mailing list to see if
anyone has asked a similar question, so please don't flame me!

Thanx, and I look forward to your responses!

-Ubence