How to configure wireless network card

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Dec 3 15:19:28 UTC 2006

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>> Your posting led me to try NetworkManager again,
>> but my experience was no better than before:
>> starting NM has the immediate effect of stopping my WiFi connection,
>> which until then was working perfectly ...
>> The card is a Lucent Technologies Gold PCMCIA card (11b),
>> with, according to /var/log/dmesg,
>> "Firmware determined as Lucent/Agere 6.04".
>
> Mine's Lucent/Agere 8.10.  Other than that, don't know what to say.

Thanks.
I think I have a card with v8.10 firmware - I'll try that.

I still consider there is something fundamentally wrong
with the approach of NM.
If a WiFi device is working perfectly without NM,
then it should work with NM, IMHO.
It's absurd for NM to complain about the device if it doesn't.
(Recall that NM says "card took too much time scanning.  Get a better one".)

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366