FC4 no longer plays CDs

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Dec 3 15:38:32 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> For some reason I can no longer get music out of a CD on that box.  System
> sounds work, so the audio card is OK and speakers are OK, so are the
> connections.  Xmms shows that the CD is playing but nothing comes out.   I've
> checked everything in alsamixer.
>
> I've disabled the on-board audio and put in a SBLive card, which is detected
> and playing system sounds.  This is 5.1 card, and it is connected to a 2.1
> speaker setup.  Is there something that I can use to tell it so?
>
> Any more ideas that I can check out?
>
> Thanks
>
> Anne

Are you using an audio cable between the CD drive and the sound
card? Or are using digital audio from the drive?

 If you are using an audio cable, check that the CD audio didn't get
muted in the mixer, and/or try another audio cable. You can also try
plugging headphones into the jack on the drive, and see if you get
audio there.

 If you are using digital audio, make sure an upgrade didn't change
the settings to the analog audio cable from the drive.

Mikkel