chkconfig yum on function?

Barry Yu barryyu-cts at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 3 16:36:54 UTC 2006

In FC5, I used chkconfig yum on, and verified with Administration->Server Settings->Services that yum service is on, I rebooted system and after 1/2 hour, used yum check-update, displayed a long list of items need to be updated - Seems yum auto update is not functioning at all. Next day I yum check-update again but still a long list of items to be updated.
How do I know yum auto update is working? In addition to chkconfig yum on, do I have to do anything else to make it work?