USB joysticks

Wolfgang wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Sun Dec 3 22:27:02 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 10:51 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> What's the situation with USB joystick support in FC?  Poking into kernel
> modules I see a couple of modules for specific USB joystick brands, but
> nothing that looks like a generic USB joystick driver.
>
> My laptop has no traditional joystick port, only USB ports.  Anyone here
> picked up any run-of-the-mill USB joystick device recently, and gotten it to
> work?
>

> --

Just make sure that the 'joydev' (modprobe joydev) module is loaded and
it should just work.. I use a CH Products 568 Combatstick USB, and it
works fine here on FC5. I did have some trouble with RHEL4, when they
did some changes to the udev rules, putting the device in /dev/input/
where it should have been placed in /dev/. (As some/most games couldn't
find the joystick in the new location). I was able to change the udev
rule to put it back where it belonged. And it worked. With FC5 I didn't
need to do that at all.. SOME older joystick will/may need another
module loaded for them to work. You may need to force that module to
load manually. Since I don't know what make and model of joystick your
referring to I can't help anymore than this..

If your running KDE, you can go to Control Centre/Peripherals/joystick,
and you can test it in there.. (It will even tell you where it was found
as well)

Wolf