FC6, CD-Roms, can't mount

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun Dec 3 23:01:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 09:33:37PM +0100, Tomas Larsson wrote:
> Just installed FC6, since my old RH9 box died.
> It seems to no-way to mount the cd-rom.
> Getting errormessages that /dev/hda not exist in fstab or mtab.
                                  ^^^

Are you sure your CD-ROM drive is at /dev/hda? Usually that's a hard
drive. I'd try /dev/hdc or hdd. Or an appropriate symlink:

ls /dev/cd*

What, if anything, does /etc/fstab have to say?

Things have changed since RH9. You may need to create a mount
point. The new custom is to put it in /media instead of /mnt, so:

mkdir /media/cdrom

then pick an appropriate device to mount, e.g.:

mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom