OT: Re: Units??

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sun Dec 3 23:47:07 UTC 2006

On 03Dec2006 10:25, anne wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
| Which brings me to a related problem.  When getting a colour listing in a
| terminal I find the blue on black almost impossible to read.  I'm sure there
| must be a way to lighten the blue, but my poking around so far hasn't found
| it.  Any ideas?

Yeah, you want a better blue. On a dark terminal I like cyan instead of
blue.

Look at the file /etc/DIR_COLORS. Copy it to $HOME/.dircolors
(and make darn sure you have no $HOME/.dir_colors, courtesy of come
pretty awful coding in /etc/profile.d/colorls.sh).

You will see the code for cyan is 36. Change all the 34s into 36s.
Source /etc/profile.d/colorls.sh again, or start a new shell. Test.

Personally I just unalias ls, l, and ll in my shell startup to avoid the
colour listings forced on us by Fedora. I just have a personal script called
"l" which says:

  #!/bin/sh
  exec ls -aCF ${1+"$@"}

When I say "ls" I like it to mean "ls", not "annoying ls with funny
options":-)

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

You only live once in life, but if you do it right, once is enough!
        - Rob Castro <rdc8 at columbia.edu>