Totem=noshow

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Dec 4 03:27:33 UTC 2006

On Sunday 03 December 2006 21:10, Craig White wrote:
>On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 20:53 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> What can I replace totem with that will work?
>>
>> I'm plumb out of patience with its I can't play this messages that do
>> not tell you what it can't play.
>
>----
>you mean kind of like the vague information that I see here?
>
>Just taking a wild ass guess at your problem, I would guess that you
>need to install an unlicensed version of libdvdcss so you can decrypt
>encrypted commercial DVD movies.
>
>Craig

Well, if it would tell me what sort of a file it won't play instead of
just showing the files hash name in the cache, I could be a little
clearer about it.

In the meantime I've nuked totem & all its dependencies, and installed all
the stuff for vlc and mplayer.  But just now, after verifying I had a
list of plugins for just about every format I could imagine and about 6
printed pages long, I clicked on a video in a link I'd followed off
slashdot about the canuck meteorite having stuff in it older than the
sun, and firefox simply went away.  This install included quicktime,
realplayer9, everything mplayer can do and everything that vlc has
plugins to do, which appears to be quite extensive.

I'm going to run ldconfig to refresh things after all that installation,
and restart firefox from the console, just to see if it will repeat, and
if so, leave an error message behind other than the single
word 'segfault' which is, you'll have to admit, real fscking informative.

Nope, clicking on the blood diamonds story opens a small window in the
middle of the screen window like its going to play the video, draws some
text around it, then in 1/2 second I'm looking at the console I started
firefox from, and its totally devoid of any clue as to why firefox quit.

=======================
[root at coyote ~]# ldconfig
[root at coyote ~]# firefox
[root at coyote ~]#

So how exactly does one go about troubleshooting this when clues are made
of unobtainium?

Many thanks for any usefull info from anyone on how to fix this.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)