Totem=noshow

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Dec 4 07:20:41 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 02:12, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Sunday 03 December 2006 21:28, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 19:53, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> What can I replace totem with that will work?
>>>
>>> I'm plumb out of patience with its I can't play this messages that do
>>> not tell you what it can't play.
>>
>>Try enabling the livna repository and installing vlc.  It will play
>>about anything you throw at it.
>>
>>--
>>  Les Mikesell
>>   lesmikesell at gmail.com
>
>My current theory is that while rpm thinks there is a java installed,
> all the /usr/lib/java* subdirs are empty.
>
>So I truck meself off the the Sun site and dl
> jdk-1_5_0_10-linux.rpm.bin, the very latest, shinyest version there.
> But would you believe it was packed with rpm-4.0.4?  And it gives the
> current 4.4.2, a segfault tummy ache.  Repeatedly.

And now my rpm database appears to be hosed, even an rpm --rebuilddb seems
to be hung in sleep state, no cpu usage and if I want to kill it, I'll
have to do a SIGKILL on it from htop.  But, in the FWIW category, before
I started that, it reported there was no java installed, without any
errors.

Now what the heck do I do?

--
Cheers, Gene