Problems with ipw2200 wireless in FC6

Marcelo Magno T. Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Mon Dec 4 11:20:45 UTC 2006

Hi,
Em Sexta 01 Dezembro 2006 19:37, Aaron Konstam escreveu:
> On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 16:17 -0300, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> > Hi, people
> >
> > I have a centrino notebook with intel ipw2200 wireless card. Almost every
> > time I cold-boot this computer, the card is shown as __tmp1804289383 or
> > something like that instead of eth1. It is not in an usable state when
> > this happens. If I just reboot, the card is then correctly shown as eth1
> > and works ok.
> >
> >  Restarting the network and/or NetworkManager services do not correct the
> > problem. So, I always have to boot and then reboot to get the wireless
> > card working. This did not happen in FC5.
>
> First I assume you installed the  ipw2200-firmware rpm. You are not
> trying to run network and NetworkManager at the same time. That produced
> bad karma. I would suggest you stop network and just run NetworkManager
> and NetworkDispatcher in the /etc/init.d directory.

They were all running, I had just turned on NetWorkManager without turning off
network, didn't realize they shouldn't be run at the same time. However, even
so, sometimes the ipw2200 card is still shown as __tmp1804289383, with the
same behavior described in the previous e-mail. Is there any thing else I
should try?

> Then configure your wireless using the nm-applet which should start up
> automatically at boot. An icon will appear in the right side of the
> upper panel. Right click on it to choose your access point and configure
> it. You should unconfigure your wireless setup if you used s-c-n or
> iwconfig to configure it.

Yes, I use the knetworkmanager, which is the same. No problem in connecting to
wireless networks when the card is correctly shown as eth1, but it halts for
a while when getting the IP address from DHCP if the NIC is shown as
__tmp1804289383 and then it stays off-line.

[]'s
Marcelo