Totem=noshow

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Dec 4 14:42:01 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 08:49, Craig White wrote:
>On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 23:21 -0500, Kurt Wall wrote:

>> > ----
>> > you mean kind of like the vague information that I see here?
>>
>> Don't be a prick. I think he meant what he said and said what he
>> meant. Save for a couple of oggs, I haven't been able to persuade
>> Totem to play anything it is configured to play. Having fought the
>> same fight with Totem, I understand clearly what he meant -- it won't
>> play the multimedia files and disks I've fed it, libdvdcss or not.
>> Worse, it fails to tell you what about the media it can't handle.
>> That's worse than useless.
>
>----
>but the vague part was not knowing what types of media he was trying to
>play.
>----
>
>> > Just taking a wild ass guess at your problem, I would guess that you
>> > need to install an unlicensed version of libdvdcss so you can
>> > decrypt encrypted commercial DVD movies.
>>
>> WTF is an "unlicensed version of libdvdcss"?  Every version of
>> libdvdcss is licensed, under the GPL to be specific.
>
>----
>but not licensed by the motion picture industry and of questionable
>legality to possess or distribute in the United States.
>
>Craig

Craig, you are being purposely difficult, I've made it plain several times
that what I'm concerned with is the ability to play the videos in any
link I might run into off of a site such as /. or cnn.news.

You keep treating me like a damned pie-rat that wants to make wholesale
copies of a popular movie & hawk them on a street corner or flea market.
The only copying I might do is a fair use copy, like putting it on my
hard drive and the dvd back in its shell on the shelf.  But I have not
done that to the half dozen movies I do own on dvd yet.  So stuff it
someplace dark please, I'm tired of the accusations.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)