Totem=noshow

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Dec 4 14:53:13 UTC 2006

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 04 December 2006 07:50, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>>> My current theory is that while rpm thinks there is a java installed,
>>> all the /usr/lib/java* subdirs are empty.
>>>
>>> So I truck meself off the the Sun site and dl
>>> jdk-1_5_0_10-linux.rpm.bin, the very latest, shinyest version there.
>>> But would you believe it was packed with rpm-4.0.4?  And it gives the
>>> current 4.4.2, a segfault tummy ache.  Repeatedly.
>>>
>>> So now I'm back to get the other package to see what falls out of the
>>> regular linux.bin file.
>>>

>>> Ok, that unpacked, now where can I find a .spec file so that I can
>>> pack it with the newer rpm & then install it?  Or is that not the
>>> correct procedure now?
>>
>> http://jpackage.org.
>
> Ok, got the jpackage.repo, but yumex is having a litter of kittens:
>[...]
>
> So there is no FC5 or FC6 mirrors.
>
> Next?

I'd just download the one RPM from the Web site.  I don't think there are
any dependencies to worry about and you are rebuilding the binary RPM
anyway.

There are some jpackage derivatives in FC, so last I read (in FC5), adding
jpackage as a repo and running updates was "considered harmful" unless you
wanted to go all jpackage for those RPMs.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu