Totem=noshow

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Dec 4 15:17:19 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 09:14, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>>> Usually, you delete /var/lib/rpm/__db.* and then rpm --rebuilddb.
>>
>> Just did that, and now the rebuild is actually running, eating
>> considerable amounts of cpu.  Now its done, and there are NO __db.00x
>> files.  But yumex seems to be running ok.
>>
>> Back to the original quest, to get jdk1_5_10 installed, I now have the
>> non-rpm'd version unpacked in /usr/src, but I'm not seeing any
>> installation instructions so I need assistance with this.
>>
>> I believe it was my trying to install their rpm package, which was
>> packed with rpm-4.0.4, and which caused rpm-4.4.3 to segfault & exit,
>> is what hosed my database in the first place.  Is this a known gotcha
>> with rpm-4.4.3?
>
>Not sure.

>> I'd like to do this, so its a valid part of the rpm database, can I
>> get the .spec file somewhere?  Or, maybe even better, get it in the
>> right format from the OpenJava site, but the propaganda all reads like
>> its source only & doesn't seem to say if it will build with the
>> current gcc.
>
>As I (sort of) pointed out in another post, the best bet is the NOSRC
> rpms for Sun Java from jpackage.org.  You grab the .nosrc.rpm from
> jpackage and the .bin installer from Sun and follow the instructions on
> the jpackage site.

Which seems to have been pretty well hidden, so far all I've found are the
src rpms.  The .bin installer I have, unpacked even.  But yum can't find
the -fc .xml's for fc6 because nothing newer than fc4 is available.  So I
disabled that repo in order for yumex to proceed.

The only likely looking candidate is in non-free, and is labeled:
java-1.5.0-sun-compat-1.5.0.09.jpp-noarch
which claims to be the jpackage compatibilty for suns jdk of the same
version number.  Unforch, its 1.5.0.10 I have the .bin for.

I'm going to grab it with yum and see what it might be.

But that's not going to fly:
Missing Dependency: jdk = 2000:1.5.0_09-fcs is needed by package
java-1.5.0-sun-compat

And I don't believe this package is available as the fc5 & fc6 listings
aren't even there when I look at the mirrors.  What are we going to have
to do, wait 2 years before OpenJava gets mature enough to use?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)