Proposed changes for fedora

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Mon Dec 4 13:24:03 UTC 2006

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> It would be possible to put almost everything in 8.5GB, and use two
> DVDs for people who want to burn their own but lack a modern burner.
> Virtually every recent DVD reader will do double-sided 8.5GB, you need
> it for movies :-(

I objected:
> That does imply tht you're using write-once DVDs for what may well be a
> read-once operation. Double-layer rewritable DVDs are not (yet?)
> available.

Bill replied:
> Multi-session is not rewrite, it's "add more" operation.

Quite. So since I'm talking about rewritable DVDs, I must be talking
about something *different* to multi-session.

If you look, you will find that single-layer rewritable DVDs are very
widely available. You can blank them (in the same way you can blank
rewritable CDs) and re-use them.

I use them for short-term backups -- I can't get more than about 4 GB on
them, but I can re-use them time after time.

They are more expensive, but at least I'm not spending money each time I
do a backup.

And *these* rewritable DVDs are ideal for installing Fedora (you can
then re-use the DVD for a backup), but do not come in dual layers.

Clear?

--
E-mail:     james@ | "As for Nitel, the state telephone monopoly, the less
aprilcottage.co.uk | said the better, which might well be the company's