Duplicating DVDs

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Dec 4 19:16:39 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 17:54, Tim wrote:
> Alessandro Brezzi:
> >> Again speakìng of video DVD, the format is differen from that of a data
> >> DVD: even if you put in this only two directories audio_ts and video_ts
> >> with the data inside, your player refuse to play the resulting disc.
>
> Anne Wilson:
> > I'm not sure if you are speaking of something different, but I have made
> > second copies of home-mastered DVDs simply by burning those audio_ts and
> > video_ts files onto a new disk.  I've never had a problem playing them.
>
> They're supposed to be uppercase directory and filenames (I've, at
> least, one player that requires it).

I use dvdauthor to create mine, and they are always upper-case.

> Also, the first file to be read is
> supposed to be at the beginning of the disc.  You'd want the files to be
> written to the disc in order of play, so the laser mechanism doesn't
> have to hunt very far as it goes from one file to the next (some are
> awfully slow at doing that.  There's also some issue about padding.
>
> A burning program with a DVD-video creation option ought to take care of
> all that for you, just dumping files onto a disc in the hope that it'll
> work is taking pot luck.  It doesn't work well with some players.

Again, dvdauthor makes sure that they are in an acceptable form.  However, it
was the later stage, of using the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories already
formed on the hdd to create a second copy that I was speaking of.  Those can
simply be dragged onto a DVD-R or +R and the disk will be readable.  The work
has already been done.

Anne