Display settings..

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Dec 4 19:32:22 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 17:45, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 15:20 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Or install 'resize and rotate', which I think is called randr.  (It
> > could be a kde utility, though.)  It allows you to choose any
> > resolution that you are set up for, and change it at will.
>
> Hmm, can you get that to work with CRTs?  (I had a brief unsuccessful
> attempt.)

In truth, I can't remember whether I ever used it with a CRT.  I've not seen
anything that says it can't be.

> ... Tim, thinking of a way to, finally, read an ebook in bed, like I can
> with real books.

I don't think that can be achieved from the gui - other display options are
greyed out.  I tried to launch it as root, thinking that would allow me to
change them, but all it did was list the current settings (and other display
settings).  The package is  /usr/bin/xrandr and the man page says 'The -o
option is used to specify the orientation of the screen, and can be one
of "normal inverted left right 0 1 2 3". '

Anne