Server keeps shutting down ! (FC3)

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Mon Dec 4 20:38:23 UTC 2006

I've got a generic AMD PC server that keeps shutting down.   One time
when I went to restart it there was no power, so I replaced the power
supply.   It still shut down on its own.   The processor cooling fan was
making noises and stalling, so I replaced it as well.  It still shuts
down.

Its a headless server.  Its running a fully patched install of FC3.  Its
been running that since it came out with no problems.  I haven't touched
the machine installation/administration wise for a long time.  This
machine ran for years with no problems.  I think its a 2002 vintage
machine.

Is there a way to check the processor temperature from the command line
in FC3 ?

Is there any other way to figure out from FC3 why it would be shutting
down ? Does FC3 log an abnormal shutdown and give a reason somewhere ?

Thanks.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.