how to change kernel Timer frequency

John DeDourek dedourek at unb.ca
Mon Dec 4 20:57:05 UTC 2006

ram wrote:

> Hi all
>

> iam using FC5
>
> I have question here is how to check kernel Timer frequency
> in running PC
>
> how can i can i change this kernel Timer frequency
>
> with out compiling the kernel on fly
>
> any suggestions
>
> Ram

If you could find the .config file that was used to build the
kernel, then it is in there.   On an FC4 machine, I found it
in
   /usr/src/kernels/2.6.17-1.2142_FC4-smp-i686
Assuming that you are using a terminal window change to
that directory with
   cd /usr/src/kernels/2.6.17-1.2142_FC4-smp-i686
and list the directory with
   ls -a
(Note that you need "-a" to show filenames starting with ".")
If you see a ".config" file, then use grep as in
   grep HZ .config
I see the lines

# CONFIG_HZ_100 is not set
CONFIG_HZ_250=y
# CONFIG_HZ_1000 is not set
CONFIG_HZ=250

which obviously means that the clock is running at 250 Hz.

I would be most interested in whether there is a way to directly
obtain this number from a running kernel, because there is always
some uncertainity about whether the ".config" you are looking at
was actually used to build the running kernel.