Totem=noshow

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Dec 5 00:26:43 UTC 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 15:11, Amadeus W. M. wrote:
>On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:22:04 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>For youtube and google video you need the flash player. For things
>>> like CNN, mplayer works beautifully. The nice thing about mplayer is
>>> that it can pretend to be the windows mplayer, so you can view with
>>> it (some/most) video from sites that wouldn't let you view their
>>> media unless you were in windows. Maybe other players can do that
>>> too, I don't know.
>>
>> I seem to be in deeper do-do than that, this site causes ff to exit;
>> <http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/11/061130-meteorite.html
>>> Then click on one of the movies, ff goes away.  No reported error.
>
>Strange, mine works flawlessly, better than cnn. That is, mplayer plays
>the videos embedded in firefox (1.5x).
>
>Do this:
>
>Hover the mouse over the link with the clip to see the url at the bottom
>of firefox. Then run mplayer directly:
>
>mplayer http://news.nationalgeographic...
>
>Does that work?

I finally found a site that had direct links, most of them are wrapped in
a wagonload of html.  Its only about 1 second long and has .gif, .wmv
and .m1a formats available.  The gif plays, the .m1a plays but the .wmv
takes mplayer down.  With no errors, it just quits.  One of the other
players, kaffeine, reports that a .dll file is missing from the codecs
available.  But it otherwise sticks around as opposed to going away
silently.

But FF itself, if you click on any of the 3 links, is gone in 30
milliseconds or less.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)