Totem=noshow

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 5 00:54:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 19:26:43 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 04 December 2006 15:11, Amadeus W. M. wrote:

>>> I seem to be in deeper do-do than that, this site causes ff to exit;
>>> <http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/11/061130-meteorite.html
>>
>>Strange, mine works flawlessly, better than cnn. That is, mplayer plays
>>the videos embedded in firefox (1.5x).
>>
>>Do this:
>>
>>Hover the mouse over the link with the clip to see the url at the bottom
>>of firefox. Then run mplayer directly:
>>
>>mplayer http://news.nationalgeographic...
>>
>>Does that work?
>
> I finally found a site that had direct links, most of them are wrapped in
> a wagonload of html.  Its only about 1 second long and has .gif, .wmv
> and .m1a formats available.  The gif plays, the .m1a plays but the .wmv
> takes mplayer down.  With no errors, it just quits.  One of the other
> players, kaffeine, reports that a .dll file is missing from the codecs
> available.  But it otherwise sticks around as opposed to going away
> silently.
>
> But FF itself, if you click on any of the 3 links, is gone in 30
> milliseconds or less.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> Yahoo.com and AOL/TW attorneys please note, additions to the above
> message by Gene Heskett are:
> Copyright 2006 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.

That's your problem right there. Mplayer uses some dlls from windows
(more or less) to play windows multimedia. To convince yourself, search
for and download a .wmv file. Then run mplayer file.wmv at the prompt, and
see what it tells you.

Get the windows codecs from the mplayer page:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

Mplayer looks for them in /usr/lib/win32 or /usr/local/lib/win32. I put
them in /usr/local/lib/win32 because my /usr/local is a separate
partition, which I don't reformat upon reinstalling FC. I must have had
the win32 codecs since FC1.