Server keeps shutting down ! (FC3)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Dec 5 01:26:10 UTC 2006

<------------[ SNIP ]-------------->

> The first error message is exactly the same as what happens on the
> server.  Why does fsck /dev/sda fail, but fsck /dev/sda1 and
> fsck /dev/sda3 work ?
>
> Does this drive problem have something to do with the server shutting
> down ?

The problem is that fsck does a file system check, and /dev/sda does
not have a file system on it to check. But partition 1 (/dev/sda1)
and partition 3 (/dev/sda3) do have file systems that can be
checked. Remember, /dev/sda is the entire hard drive, including the
master boot record, partition table, and the contents of the
partitions. This is why you can use dd to copy and entire drive to a
matching drive, or make an image of an entire drive.

Mikkel