Totem=noshow

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Tue Dec 5 03:29:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 04 December 2006 11:55, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>>> And yum says a 1.6.6 version of that is installed.  But following the
>>> files paths displayed by yumex for that archive, its not there.  2 of
>>> the files listed:
>>> /usr/share/build-classpath
>>> /usr/share/java-utils/build-classpath-directory
>>>
>>> The only thing at that location is:
>>> [root at coyote java-utils]# ls
>>> java-functions
>>>

>>> It should, I'd think, have an executable, but it's invisible to me.
>>>
>>> Somebody bring a chain saw, I can't see the trees for all this forest.
>>>  & taint funny.
>>
>> OK Back away from the keyboard, tyake a few deep breaths, close your
>> eyes, and count slowly to 10.
>>
>> Then
>>
>> 	rpm -qV jpackage-utils
> No output

So the RPM is properly installed.

>> 	rpm -ql jpackage-utils
> Is a list of files as you said.
>
>> Then observe that the files you mentioned above are in /usr/bin, not in
>> /usr/share.
>
> On this box, the file I showed is in /usr/share.  But the yumex screen for
> showing the file contents also showed /usr/share.  But hell, I've been

Yes, *that* file is in /usr/share, but the others are in /usr/bin.

"rpm -q jpacakge-utils" does show jpackage-utils-1.6.6-1jpp.8, right?

And

 	$ locate build-classpath
 	/usr/bin/build-classpath
 	/usr/bin/build-classpath-directory
?

> screwing with this for about 36 hours so far and have only succedded in
> making FF even more unstable than it is.  If it would just toss a can't
> find file such-and-such error message, that would be extremely helpfull,
> but it simply, quietly, instantly goes away. I've been running it from a
> shell all this time hoping it might get to feeling talkative.  But its
> mute, while I'm getting dumber.

And I'm not really sure what's up with your Firefox, though there are some
other folks trying to get that working for you.  I'm just trying to get
your Java installed now.

Apparently, Sun has GPL'ed their Java, so soon this maddening nosrc RPM
stuff will be an anachronism.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences