fc6: won't display remote program locally

Mike Wright xktnniuymlla at mailinator.com
Tue Dec 5 20:01:15 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I've been using the command "ssh -Y remotebox" to provide a local X
session for administering remote boxes and it used to work well.  I have
an id_dsa.pub key on the remote boxes and the login is almost instant.

Where the problem arises is when I try to run firefox or thunderbird on
the remote box that will display here.  Lots of blinking lights on the
nic, and 70 seconds later I'm back at the prompt looking at "Done".
But, other things suchas gedit display locally correctly.

This works on my fc4 boxes, but on neither fc6 box.  One is running
linux-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6xen and the other linux-2.6.18.2 vanilla.  None
are running selinux.  In all other regards the machines seem to work
similarly.

Has anybody else experienced this?  If so, did you get it to work?

google and yahoo haven't been much help on this one.

Thanks,
Mike Wright