FC5, MDADM and a raid recovery

Mike mjwestkamper at weiinc.com
Tue Dec 5 20:32:17 UTC 2006

I built a softraid using mdadm some time ago. It used 4 250GB SATA drives.
All worked fine. Its loaded about 55% and runs 24x7.

I started to upgrade to FC6. Rather than leaving things as they were the
installer didn't recognize the RAID configuration and did something to
the first drive /dev/sda. I killed the install and rebooted FC5. It
booted correctly, however the RAID was apparently tampered with.

Thinking I should be able to recover I tried several cautious paths,
however to no avail. Here is a sequence that should help someone
schooled in the file systems. ANY suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

/[root at homeserver ~]# mdadm -Afv /dev/md0
mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md0
mdadm: /dev/sde2 is not one of /dev/sda,/dev/sdb,/dev/sdc,/dev/sdd
mdadm: /dev/sde1 is not one of /dev/sda,/dev/sdb,/dev/sdc,/dev/sdd
mdadm: /dev/sde is not one of /dev/sda,/dev/sdb,/dev/sdc,/dev/sdd
mdadm: /dev/sdd1 is not one of /dev/sda,/dev/sdb,/dev/sdc,/dev/sdd
mdadm: /dev/sdd is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 4.
mdadm: /dev/sdc is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 2.
mdadm: /dev/sdb is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 1.
mdadm: /dev/sda is identified as a member of /dev/md0, slot 0.
mdadm: /dev/hdb1 is not one of /dev/sda,/dev/sdb,/dev/sdc,/dev/sdd
mdadm: /dev/hdb is not one of /dev/sda,/dev/sdb,/dev/sdc,/dev/sdd
mdadm: /dev/hda3 is not one of /dev/sda,/dev/sdb,/dev/sdc,/dev/sdd
mdadm: /dev/hda2 is not one of /dev/sda,/dev/sdb,/dev/sdc,/dev/sdd
mdadm: /dev/hda1 is not one of /dev/sda,/dev/sdb,/dev/sdc,/dev/sdd
mdadm: /dev/hda is not one of /dev/sda,/dev/sdb,/dev/sdc,/dev/sdd
mdadm: clearing FAULTY flag for device 0 in /dev/md0 for /dev/sdd
mdadm: added /dev/sdb to /dev/md0 as 1
mdadm: added /dev/sdc to /dev/md0 as 2
mdadm: no uptodate device for slot 3 of /dev/md0
mdadm: added /dev/sdd to /dev/md0 as 4
mdadm: added /dev/sda to /dev/md0 as 0
mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 3 drives (out of 4) and 1 spare.
[root at homeserver ~]# mount /dev/md0 /filestore
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md0,
    missing codepage or other error
    dmesg | tail  or so /