Cinelerra and Fedora

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Wed Dec 6 13:30:34 UTC 2006

Over on the Cinelerra list, an interesting exchange is occurring regarding
Cinelerra, probably the most developed video editing tool for Linux. Because
of the somewhat reclusive practices of it's chief developers, and because of
some long-ago questions regarding its predecessor's use of questionable code
(as in non-free), the status of the project and it's licensing status has
been clouded in mystery. I have no way of analysing the truth or legality of
the matter, but you can read here about how there seems to be some resolution
being offerred to the question:
http://tinyurl.com/ykl4km

Folks at Ubuntustudio have taken an interest in possible inclusion of
Cinelerra in the Ubuntu repos as a result of this.

I know that Ubuntu and licensing questions are two subjects that are big red
flags to some folks on this list. Please note what I'm saying - I do not know
the truth of the matter, I am not a lawyer, and I'm not advocating that
Fedora adopt Ubuntu's 'looser' standards on software licensing. I am
providing this information in the hope that the claims have merit, and that
someone more competent than I to assess such things will take an interest and
find out. For those of us involved in media content creation and television
production, this could be great news.
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA