yum localupdate compains arguement list too long

Alessandro Brezzi alessandro.brezzi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 16:40:35 UTC 2006

Hi Barry,

2006/12/6, Barry Yu <barryyu-cts at sbcglobal.net>:

> I downloaded and stored all the rpm update packages in folder where I plan
> to use for other new install of Fedora systems so each of them won't need to
> do yum update through Internet.
> When I used yum localupdate /mnt/allrpmupdates/*.rpm, the yum displayed  a
> message "arguement list too long" and then stopped doing anything, when I
> issued yum localupate /mnt/allrpmupdates/a*.rpm , yum started the local
> update and I have to repleat yum localupdate b*.rpm, c*.rpm to z*.rpm.
> Is there any way to use the yum localupdate to do the localupate at one
> time ?

What you say is not really a problem but is a normal behavior of bash. As
you write
  yum locaupdate *.rpm
bash expand the list *.rpm which I suppose is far longer than 255 element
(AFAIK) and then you return the error.
This is normal for *all* the programs you invoke under bash.
Now, you can use xargs to pass a longer list of arguments to a program as:
  ls *.rpm | xargs -n1 yum localupdate
or you can construct a for i in $(ls *.rpm) ... loop to do the same.
Personally I prefer the xargs approach.

HTH
--
Alessandro Brezzi