Notebook

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Dec 6 16:46:32 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 10:26 -0500, jim tate wrote:
> Andrea Bencini wrote:
> > I would like to buy a notebook and to install FC6.
> > Which one of these is the best to install FC6?
> > HP
> > ASUS
> > ACER
> > Toshiba
> >
> > Thank
> > Andrea
> >

> Don't buy a Toshiba, linux and toshiba gets along like cats and dogs.
> HP would be your best bet.
> Be sure what ever you get,  it has a Mini-pci wireless card, preferably
> with Intel, Atheros chipset.
> A laptop with a Mini-pci slot built in will allow you to buy a Wireless
> mini-pci card that will work with Linux.
> You can buy mini-pci wireless cards on Ebay for around $30.00,
> preferably  with Intel, Atheros chipset,
> Atheros chipset uses the Linux Madwifi driver, Intel supports Linux.
> I would venture to say most all hardware in Laptops Linux will detect,
> Wireless is the major drawback.
> Dell Plays good with Linux, but there support stinks, when the Laptop
> goes out of warranty, you have to
> have credit card in hand to even call them up to say "Good Morning"
> HP is a big supporter of Linux and there support is probly the best out
> there.
>
> Jim

I disagree.  I have a Toshiba Satellite that runs Linux (FC4) like a
dream.  Up and running almost faultless from day one.  Never took the
plastic wrap off of the Windows disks.  Heck, even the SD card reader is
now working with the latest kernel.

I do admit that I have not used the wireless so I don't know if that
works.

When I looked for a laptop, I made sure that it had an nVidia card.
Also watch for drive interface issues.  The specs for my laptop stated
IDE but the laptop came with SATA drives.  This shouldn't be an issue
but be warned.