No bios password - no spare partition - Howto install FC6?

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 22:24:05 UTC 2006

Alastair McKinley <amckinley03 <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Ooops sorry I forgot to mention it has been locked to only boot from
> the hard drive!

If you already have Linux installed, then you can boot the installer from GRUB
without needing to change the BIOS.

Copy the initrd.img and vmlinuz files from the isolinux directory on the first
CD or from the mirrors.  Add an entry to /boot/grub/menu.lst:

title Fedora Install
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz
	initrd /initrd.img

Copy the device for the /boot partition from the other entries.  If you don't
have a boot partition, then add /boot to the paths (like the other entries).

Then, reboot and select the "Fedora Install" selection from the grub menu.  You
should be able to select the install method.  I have used this with hard drive
installs (which use the .iso images) and network installs.  It might be possible
to use the CDs after booting.

 - Ian