*ALMOST* longing for Windows stability

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Dec 7 00:38:39 UTC 2006

Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>>> Here we are:
>>> Section "Monitor"
>>>
>>>  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
>>>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>>>         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>>>         ModelName    "19''"
>>>         DisplaySize  340        270
>>>  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
>>>         HorizSync    24.0 - 80.0
>>>         VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
>>>         Option      "dpms"
>>> EndSection
>> ----
>> this should be OK...my sync rates are...
>>
>>         HorizSync    30.0 - 80.0
>>         VertRefresh  55.0 - 75.0
>> ----
>>> Section "Device"
>>>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>>>         Driver      "radeon"
>>>         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>>>         BoardName   "ATI Technologies Inc R200 BB [Radeon All in Wonder
>>> 8500DV]"
>>> EndSection
>>>
>>> Section "Screen"
>>>         Identifier "Screen0"
>>>         Device     "Videocard0"
>>>         Monitor    "Monitor0"
>>>         DefaultDepth     24
>>>         SubSection "Display"
>>>                 Viewport   0 0
>>>                 Depth     16
>>>                 Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
>>>         EndSubSection
>>>         SubSection "Display"
>>>                 Viewport   0 0
>>>                 Depth     24
>>>                 Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>> ----
>> this seems to be a problem for a 19" LCD... I have set only...
>>
>>                 Modes    "1280x1024"
>> on this last line.
>> ----
>>>         EndSubSection
>>> EndSection
>>>
>> ----
>> perhaps just make a backup copy of /etc/X11/xorg.conf and edit the
>> original. Many LCD monitors aren't capable of running at resolutions
>> other than the one the default and I would think that the proper
>> resolution for a 19" LCD is 1280x1024
>
> I can do that, but I've got the monitor manual in my hand, and it lists
> the following display modes for the Starlogic 19"
>
> Resolution	Horizontal Freq		Vertical Frequency
> 640x350		31.475			70.100
> 640x480		31.469			59.940
> 640x480		37.500			75.000
> 720x400		31.469			70.087
> 800x600		37.879			60.317
> 800x600		46.875			75.000
> 1024x768	48.363			60.004
> 1024x768	60.023			75.029
> 1280x1024	63.981			60.020
> 1280x1024	79.978			75.024

Some people on the test list seemed to have success when they commented
out the vertical and horizontal sync lines, which made their systems
perform better with DDC detection (whatever that is specifically)
you might want to try commenting out the lines and giving it a try by
restarting the X server after editing the file.

Also, to get useful information from the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, you
need to copy this information somewhere before you start the server
again. This log is written new each time the server is started. You
might be able to get helpful information from the
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old file which will be the previous session before
your working GUI. You might want to grab that log file.

The safest way to work out X problems is to start or telinit the system
into runlevel 3 and then log into the terminal as a regular user and
start X with the startx script.

If all else fails, you might try the ati-fg?? driver from a repo
somewhere. Of course chances are the upstream source for the open driver
needs to be relayed that there is a problem. If you can get a log for X
with what is failing, it might help correct the problem with the failure
information.

Jim

--
Well fix that in the next (upgrade, update, patch release, service pack).