floppy drive and FC5

john s. john at johnsdesign.net
Thu Dec 7 06:07:48 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty wrote:
> john s. wrote:

>>> In any terminal window, use su. Be sure to use the "-" after the
>>> command
>>>
>>> [jmccarty at Presario-1 0DataSheets]$ su -
>
> [snip]
>
> I forgot to add: It's considered bad form actually to log on
> as root. Become root only as necessity dictates. I have never
> actually logged onto my machine as root.
>
>>  Thanks; I'm getting mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device.
>
> Hmm. This can be because /dev/fd0 is messed up, and is not the
> correct driver, or because you have a hardware problem. One
> possible hardware problem is a floppy disc which is bad.
>
> Do you have a floppy drive installed?
> Do you have a good floppy disc in it? Are you sure? [1]
> Is the floppy disc door closed if it has one?
> Is the floppy fully inserted and latched into place?
> Have you tried shutting down, turning off, unplugging the machine,
> and then reseating the floppy cable on both ends? Ditto
> checking the power cable to the floppy and reseating it?
>
> [1] IOW, can the floppy be read on another machine?
>
> Mike
  The weekend box, I tried all the tricks I know (which are generally
what you suggested and more), to see if I had a bad drive. 5 still
doesn't see the drive, no matter which one it is (I have like 10 drives
here- willing to bet, 5 won't see any). Not having the floppy working is
a no biggie on this box- the other, I'd like to sell at some point...
How come no one told me years ago, once you buy a computer, they
multiply like rabbits?

                John