motherboards for FC6

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 15:02:20 UTC 2006

As my computer is dying a slow death[0] I'm
looking at replacing the RAM/MB/CPU.
My current candidate is the AsusTek  M2NPV-MX
<http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=296&model=1169&modelmenu=2>[1]

What I would like to know:
1. Do nForce 430 boards, in general, work on FCx.
2. Using OSS drivers (I'd generally use the nvidia video
driver but I'd prefer if P/SATA etc were handled by
solid OSS stuff).
3. Is anyone using this specific board?

[0] It previously would refuse to start the BIOS when first
powered on, requiring use of the reset button and/or power
cycling. Recently it has begun to restart during boot. Once
running it is still stable, although I do get strange gcc errors
from time to time. MemtestX86 seems to be okay. The power
supply has been replaced (with a bigger one) since this
started.
[1] Based on a number of factors, I need 2 IDE channels
for existing devices, onboard video (so I don't have to buy
a new video card at the same time as a processor and RAM).
Socket 939 chips and motherboards are getting difficult to
get hold of, so it'll have to be AM2.
seem to be getting very hard to buy, so I'll