motherboards for FC6

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 15:37:15 UTC 2006

On 07 Dec 2006 09:29:46 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:

> IM> What I would like to know: Do nForce 430 boards, in general, work
> IM> on FCx.
>
> Yes, just fine.  I have a few dozen of the socket 939 version in
> production without issue.

Good to hear.

> IM> Using OSS drivers (I'd generally use the nvidia video
> IM> driver but I'd prefer if P/SATA etc were handled by solid OSS
> IM> stuff). Is anyone using this specific board?
>
> I have the M2NPV-VM board in a couple of machines; it should be pretty
> much the same thing except it's uATX.  There are some minor issues:
>
> The sound only works with more recent Fedora kernel updates and, at
> least on FC5, require that you add this to /etc/modprobe.conf:
>
>    options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 model=3stack

Thanks for the tip, though I'm planning to keep my own soundcard
(it's just v. difficult to get onboard video without onboard sound).

> If you're planning to use CPU frequency scaling and the onboard
> graphics (at least the -VM board has both analog and DVI), be aware
> that the screen glitches very slightly when the clock speed changes.
> (The CPU will clock down to 1GHz when idle, which is very nice for
> noise, heat output and power consumption.)

Yes, both analogue and DVI on this one, which is a  nice feature for
the price.

> Also, note that you may need to disable rhgb and/or force X to use a
> software cursor because there's a bug in the open source NV driver
> that causes the hardware cursor to disappear.

A little worrying, not a show stopper.
Thanks for your reply.

--
imalone