Notebook

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Dec 7 15:25:13 UTC 2006

> Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:46:32 -0700
> From: Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca>
> Subject: Re: Notebook
> To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 10:26 -0500, jim tate wrote:
>> Andrea Bencini wrote:
>>> I would like to buy a notebook and to install FC6.
>>> Which one of these is the best to install FC6?
>>> HP
>>> ASUS
>>> ACER
>>> Toshiba
>>>
>>> Thank
>>> Andrea
>>>

>> Don't buy a Toshiba, linux and toshiba gets along like cats and dogs.
>> HP would be your best bet.

I don't know about Toshiba laptops not liking Linux, but you *WILL* pay
the Microsoft tax if you buy a new one. Toshiba has, at least in Canada,
absolutely refused to sell a bare machine. I refuse to buy somehting I
don't want or need.

As to laptops, I have had a great longterm relationship with IBM
Thinkpads going back at least 12 years for hardware and 4 years for
Linux. Admittedly the button as mouse is a learned thing: personally I
had the scratchpad mouse and have it turned off on my T40. The T40, like
its predecessors, the 600 and 600E found all of the hardware except for
the usual modem problems. The Wave modem in the 600's was always
problematic. The modem in the T40 does work with slmodem but I don't use
it anyway.
The Cisco Aironet 350 wireless card is flakey about connecting with WEP
and I will probably replace is with an Intel 2200BG card. Otherwise, the
T40 rocks and I suspect that ALL of the Thinkpads will do the same.

Geoff