Why doesn't Fedora include gksudo/gksu as a package

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Dec 7 18:08:21 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> The default solution used in Fedora is consolehelper. Might consider
> look at packages like system-config* tools and the man pages if you
> want to know more details.

I think you'd have to admit that using consolehelper to start up
various programs -- somewhat random depending on the user's
needs/wants -- is a pain in the ass.

If someone wanted to run a file browser as root once in a while, doing
so via gksu nautilus is far simpler than creating a symlink to
consolehelper in /usr/bin and adding a configuration file to
/etc/security/console.apps/.  If the user wanted to do all that they'd
have to open a terminal to do so and if they did that, the might as
well just run sudo nautilus and enter their password there.

I don't personally have a need for gksu but I don't think I'm the
typical Fedora user either, as I always have a terminal full of tabs
open, use mutt to read my mail, and generally prefer text to gui for
most things.

Am I missing something about the consolehelper method that would make
this process quicker and more flexible?

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to start up a file browser as
root without a terminal in a default Fedora setup (meaning a Gnome
desktop) short of logging out of your user account and logging in as
root?

To tax the community for the advantage of a class is not protection:
it is plunder.
    -- Benjamin Disraeli