Two old problems with FC6 re-noted.

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 7 21:55:09 UTC 2006

I have had two problems from the first with FC6 on admittedly old Dell
(circa 2000) hardware.
1. Even though the shutdown command shutdown the hardware in FCn n<6 and
today in Ubuntu, it refuses to shut down in FC6. That is all the
commands you would expect are executed in shutdown, I can hear the tel
tale click but the computer power is not shut off. acpi on or off makes
no difference.

2. It took me 2 weeks to get sound working but it was not easy. In the
boot messages the sound card was recognized but upon booting lspci,
lshal, hwconf and the /proc/asound showed no trace of a sound card.
Needless to say the lines related to the sound card
in /etc/modprobe.conf were ignored and no /dev/audio was not created.
The only way I could get sound to work was to do an explicit modprobe in
the rc.local file and a lot of fooling around with
system-config-soundcard, alsamixer and volume control. Needless to say
sound worked with FCn n<6.

Now I would be glad to hear an explanation for all this but it seems
clear that FC6 does not work on my hardware for these two features. A
bugzilla did no good.

I am not optimistic that future Fedoras will improve.
"The porcupine with the sharpest quills gets stuck on a tree more
often."
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net