Simple Samba Setup

Paul Lemmons paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com
Thu Dec 7 22:58:09 UTC 2006

I am trying to setup what I think is the simplest samba setup and am now
completely bald with frustration. (I did not have much hair to start
with so this sounds much worse than it really is :-> )

Here is what I am attempting:
- Share a directory read/write to a specific set of users
- The user, on windows-xp, should be able to \\linux\share
- They should be able to enter both a userid and password
- The userid and password should be the one on the linux box

This sounds simple but I am missing it some where. I guess my first
question is "Is this even possible?"

So far, all combinations of security have had the same result. The user
is presented with a login screen that pre-fills the userid field with
something bogus and does not let them change it. No password supplied is
ever accepted.

<pitiful, large eyes with that irresistible pleading look>
   help?
</pitiful, large eyes with that irresistible pleading look>

$ rpm -qa | grep samba
samba-3.0.23c-2
samba-common-3.0.23c-2
samba-client-3.0.23c-2

$ uname -a
Linux me.at.my.com 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 #1 SMP Fri Nov 10 12:45:28 EST 2006
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux