mail for root

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri Dec 8 01:59:45 UTC 2006

Hadders wrote:
> I should know how to do this, but 99% of the time, I don't care
> about the mail for root.

Edit /etc/aliases and look near the very end of the file for the line
that's commented as "# Person who should get root's mail."  Just
change marc to a local user.  You could also change it to /dev/null if
you want to drop all root mail.  I wouldn't advise you to do this, but
you could if you wanted.

> Should I?
>
> Also, how would I turn this off?

It depends on what mail you ant to turn off.  On a default install I
think logwatch is the main thing that generates mail to root.  You
could uninstall that or disable the logwatch cronjob if you wanted to
stop this.  Of course, I find the reports generally useful and short
enough not to be bothersome. :)

Nothing is wrong with California that a rise in the ocean level
wouldn't cure.
    -- Ross MacDonald (1915-1983)