mail for root

Hadders fedora at workingwithit.com
Fri Dec 8 06:05:14 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 13:35 +0800, Hadders wrote:
>
>> Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> not likely to get many replies on proprietary implementation of a 'fake
>>> raid'
>>>
>>> Craig
>>>

>> Well, I want to share my Intel RAID Container across Windows and linux.
>> If that wasn't the case, I'd just use software RAID, like I have in the
>> past.
>>
>> Surely this must be possible.
>>
> ----
> real hardware raid is invisible to the OS and simply works.
>
> the 'fake raid' stuff actually is software raid only you become locked
> into a proprietary implementation which requires a driver compatible
> with your kernel and hopefully proprietary driver keeps up with kernel
> releases. Most people opt just to use software raid...it works with
> windows and with linux, it doesn't require proprietary drivers, the
> drives can move to another computer/controller and still work and
> probably faster, more reliable and a well known set of tools to
> administer the raid.
>
> That said, perhaps someone can help you with your objectives - my
> comment was that few people are likely to be familiar with your hardware
> and the requirements to make it work.
>
> Good luck
>
> Craig

Sorry, you've lost me?  How can I implement software RAID in Linux that
Windows will use too?

That's the objective here, to create a bootable, shared Windows/Linux
setup that uses the same container. Windows will use the container via
its Intel driver and Linux will access it how? That's where I'm stuck, I
was under the impression that I could access it through dmraid.

As I said, if I didn't want to dual boot and share, I'd be using Linux
Software RAID quicker than you could blink.