Kernel patch for Intel SATA RAID

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri Dec 8 06:35:36 UTC 2006

H> So far though, I'm lost in the Linux side. I can't run Software
H> RAID, because I want to share between Windows and Linux and I don't
H> know how to get Linux visibility to this device?

Sure, you can run software RAID.  These fake RAID controllers are all
software RAID; the only issue is that the BIOS understands them and
thus can boot from them.  Once booted, the actual RAID-ness is done
via the OS.  Linux just needs to be able to comprehend the on-disk
structures that describe the array so that it can assemble it.

In my experience, dmraid just works; the Fedora installer sees the
RAID set and assembles is properly; you just see a large device, which
you can partition as normal.

 - J<