logwatch failing on mail to user

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Fri Dec 8 17:37:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 00:59 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> I've done this on multiple machines, and never had a problem, but I'm stumped.
> I've put my email address in the mailto line in the logwatch configuration
> file, and it appears to be trying, but fails. The errors look like this:
>
> The original message was received at Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:17:08 -0500
> from localhost [127.0.0.1]

> <claudejones at verizon.net>

> <claudejones at verizon.net>... Deferred: Connection timed out with
> relay.verizon.net.
> Message could not be delivered for 5 days
> Message will be deleted from queue
>
> --kB82IrDn013398.1165544458/localhost.localdomain
>
> Reporting-MTA: dns; localhost.localdomain
> Arrival-Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:17:08 -0500
>
> Final-Recipient: RFC822; claudejones at verizon.net
> Action: failed
>

> That address is a working address, and I've tested it many times. I'm
> suspecting that Verizon is treating me as an outsider trying to use their
> server as a relay, but why would that be the case, since they are my ISP, and
> the mail should be obviously coming from their own network? Can someone help
> me out?
----
you could try to manually connect via telnet and try the same thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol

I can't tell if the above information is from /var/spool/mail/root or from /var/log/maillog but if it's not from 'maillog', try looking through that file for more clues.

Craig