LinuxBIOS Ready To Go Mainstream

Roger Heflin rheflin at atipa.com
Fri Dec 8 19:57:32 UTC 2006

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>> After seven years of work, the LinuxBIOS project is on the brink of
>> making a free BIOS a standard option for computers.
>
> Look at the list of supported hardware.  There seems to be a lack of
> any current production consumer boards on that list.  It looks like
> the only athlon64/Opteron/turion support is for the ancient AMD-8111
> reference chipset that no consumer motherboard uses.
>
>     http://linuxbios.org/Supported_Motherboards
>
> This is worse than the trouble we have with finding supported wifi
> hardware.
>
> -wolfgang

LinuxBIOS is designed for the needs of supercomputing cluster
machines, almost all of those motherboards are Dual/Quad Socket
boards (in fact they a be dual/quad socket boards).  The
people funding the projects interest lies in dual and quad
socket boards, because they need high memory, and the high
speed communication boards (Myrinet, Infiniband, ... ) and ports
to support those high-speed communication boards cost more than
most mid to high end desktop systems.

                               Roger