need spec file example to replace files from various packages

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Sat Dec 9 07:07:50 UTC 2006

Paul Johnson wrote:
> After installing Fedora, I want to replace various configuration files
> on lab computers. If I can learn how to do this in the post section of
> an RPM spec file, I will be happy.  For example, I want/need to
> replace things like
>
> /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default
> /etc/gdm/PostSession/Default
> /etc/pam.d/system-auth
> /etc/hosts.allow
> /etc/hosts.deny
>
> One brute force option is to install with rpm --replacefiles, but yum
> does not like that.
> So can  you point me at a spec file or two that will give example
> syntax on how I can create a backup of those files and replace them
> with the ones I want.
>
> Please?

Just bump the revision number by 1, so it will update from yours.  You
will have to watch for regular updates and repeat after any of you
modified packages get updated.

For instance:

1. install the source rpm from updates for gdm (rpm -ihv gdm...src.rpm)
2. cd ~/rpmbuild/SPEC
3. vi gdm.spec
4. bump the revision (not version)
5. cd ../BUILD
6. untar the gdm*.tar.gz
7. cd gdm<version><revision>
8. modify as desired
cd back to the BUILD directory
9. tar up the sources into a file name that matches your new
version.revision from the spec file you edited
cd ../SPEC
10 rpmbuild -ba gdm.spec (specify arch if ya need to)
11. rpm -Uhv <new_rpm>

All set!

Hope there is a clue there somewhere for ya.