Using same USB drive with multiple computers.

monty19@ hotmail.com monty19 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 9 15:05:48 UTC 2006

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:880dece00612090433j48de7790u5082c34af32943ff at mail.gmail.com...
>On 08/12/06, monty19@ hotmail.com <monty19 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>I have Fedora installed on a USB drive and use it with a laptop.  It works
>>very well, but what I would like to be able to do is plug it into a
>>desktop
>>or another laptop and be able to use the same install, without having to
>>completely reconfiguer the system each time I move it.  I am wondering if
>>there are any programs out there to save the system configurations for
>>multiple hardware configurations.  I tried doing some google searches but
>>did not come up with anything, was wondering if anyone here knew about
>>anything?
>
>How did you install to USB? Via regular install? IIRC that are ways to
>install to USB disks so that they detect the hardware ala
>Knoppix/Slax.
>
>Dotan Cohen

Via the standard installer.  It actually didn't boot properly so I had to
boot off the (rescue) DVD and run mkinitrd with the options  --preload
scsi_mod --preload libata --preload sata_promise --preload ehci_hcd
--preload usb_storage.  libata and sata_promise were for it to stop
complaining at boot about the partitions on the internal promise controller
as they are in a RAID 0, and it was ugly during boot; not that they had to
be loaded for booting off the usb disk to work.

Off the subject, I have asked about having to run mkinitrd to preload the
modules, because from what I understood FC6 was going to support booting off
USB drives 'out of the box', but I can't remember for the life of me where I
read that, and maybe it wasn't true.  If it is true, it needs to be looked
at...

Back on subject, I think what you're talking about would be along the lines
of what I am looking for. Do you know of any articles that explain the set
up process, or programs that aid in the configuration?  Regardless I can do
some more looking around on Google based off of that info, and see what I
can come up with.

Thank you,
Jason