Trouble Adding Memory

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Sat Dec 9 15:38:52 UTC 2006

I'm running Fedora Core 5.

I have a plain vanilla 2.8Ghz P4 Intel motherboard with 4 DIMM slots.  I
currently have 1 DIMM of 512M DDR 3200 memory.  I purchased a second
DIMM of the same 3200 memory hoping to upgrade the memory.

When I install the second DIMM, the BIOS properly recognizes it,
however, FC5 won't boot properly.  The boot time takes forever.  The
bootup is sitting in "Starting UDEV" for a very long time.

I believe the new memory DIMM is okay, I can use either memory DIMM
properly, however, attempting to use both causes a problem.

I'm stumped as to what could possibly be wrong.

I don't use the stock FC5 kernel, but instead have compiled my own
2.6.18-1 kernel.  I have the Memory Split option set to the default
3G/1G user/kernel split.

I don't know if this is the correct list to ask this question.  Does
anyone have any suggestions?

Jim