help setting a mirror like repository

Ezequiel Alfie ezequiel at df.uba.ar
Sat Dec 9 20:41:35 UTC 2006

Hello.
I'm trying to set up a i386-FC6 repository suitable for:

- Network installation
- Serving a Yum repository for [Core]
- Serving the DVD ISO

My idea was using the minimum amount of hard disk space.

I created the following directories (/var/www is my DocumentRoot on
apache)

/var/www/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os
and /var/www/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/iso

I downloaded and put the ISO inside the iso/ directory.

I then loop-mounted the DVD ISO onto the os/ directory.

First question:
After mounting the DVD ISO the ISO disappeared from the directory listing,
while accessing via HTTP. And if I try to download it it says
Permission Denied. Any ideas why?

Second question:

The iso/ directory served for the network installation but not for
yum since I got errors claiming something about not finding
media://<number>.
While trying to solve that, I created an empty 20MB file and made an
ext2 filesystem on it (mkfs.ext2) and then loop mounted onto the
iso/repodata directory. After that, I copied the repodata/ files from
other mirror onto the mounted repodata/ directory. After that it worked as
a yum repo.

But, is this the intended way to set up a FC mirror? I see it a bit
complicated... Does someone got experience on this? I didn't wanted to
copy the RPMS from inside the DVD's, effectively duplicating the space
needed, as this was a suggestion on a tutorial page.

Thanks in advance,
Ezequiel