Trouble Adding Memory

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200612 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 20:46:13 UTC 2006

Jim Duda <jim at duda.tzo.com> writes:
> When I install the second DIMM, the BIOS properly recognizes it,
> however, FC5 won't boot properly.  The boot time takes forever.  The
> bootup is sitting in "Starting UDEV" for a very long time.

This is not an uncommon occurrence.  Adding memory increases the
memory-bus loading which slows the signals down a tad.  Your board may
not work reliably unless you add an extra delay state to the memory
access in the bios.

I'd download memtest86 and run it overnight and see if that catches
any error.

    http://www.memtest86.com/

If it does find errors I'd bump the timings up until the errors went
away.  Even if memtest86 doesn't find any errors for cpu->memory
transfers there may still be some device->memory errors.  Bumping the
timing anyway may make them go away.  It is one of those cases where
you have to experiment a bit and see which of the memory timings need
just a touch more time.

-wolfgang