Backup and Restor MBR

Vivek J. Patankar list307 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 03:24:13 UTC 2006

On 12/10/06, Hadders <fedora at workingwithit.com> wrote:
> > # dd if=/dev/hda of=/path/filename bs=512 count=1
> I would assume I can just reverse the input file (if) and output file
> (of) statements to restore?

I had used dd to take a backup of my FC5 setup before a "clean
install" upgrade to FC6. I took the MBR, / & /boot partitions. I left
/home intact. Fortnately FC6 didn't cause any problems, and I did not
have to restore. But I guess it should work. But a second opinion
about restore would be needed.
Alternatively, you can use the dd'ed MBR file to call grub from within
boot.ini of windows. I have done that before on dual boot systems
who's grub got overwritten. It's a less used alternative (provided you
have a backup of the MBR) to booting into rescue and doing a
grub-install.

--
Regards
Vivek